The British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on Reclamation presents “Rejuvenation Through Reclamation and Operating for Closure” — B.C.’s 31st Annual Mine Reclamation Symposium.
Organized by The British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on Reclamation (TRCR) in cooperation with:
- B.C. Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources Natural Resources Canada
- Environmental Assessment Office
- B.C. Ministry of Environment
- Mining Association of British Columbia
- University of British Columbia
- Thompson Rivers University
Venue: Sea to Sky Hotel & Conference Centre – Squamish, BC
Dates: September 17-20, 2007
Note: All functions take place at the Sea to Sky Hotel & Conference Centre.
Monday, September 17, 2007
9:00 am – 10:00 am
Short Course Registration
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Short Course – Sea to Sky Ballroom – “Revegetating a Mine Site – Setting Objectives, Developing Techniques, and Evaluating Success”; Justin Straker, C.E. Jones and Associates Ltd. and Clive Welham, University of British Columbia. Lunch provided.
7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Symposium Registration – Sea to Sky Hotel & Conference Centre
7:30 pm – 10:00 pm
Wine & Cheese Reception – Sea to Sky Ballroom
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Depart Sea to Sky and Mountain Retreat hotels for tour of Britannia Mine. A bag lunch and dinner will be provided. Return approximately 7:00 pm.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
7:30 am – 10:30 am REGISTRATION
Technical Sessions – Sea to Sky Ballroom
Session Theme: Britannia
Session Chairs: Brenda Dixon, Natural Resources Canada and Carla Fraser, Elk Valley Coal Corporation
A Review of the Management of the Britannia Mine Remediation Project – Counting the Pennies
Barry Azevedo, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands, and Gerry O’Hara, Golder Associates Ltd.
Storming the Beaches: Surface Water Aspects of the Britannia Mine Remediation
Mark Adamson, Matthew Munn and Gerry O’Hara, Golder Associates Ltd.
Britannia Mine: Back to the Future…Remediation Progress at Britannia and a Bright Future as a Consequence
Gerry O’Hara, Golder Associates Ltd.; Barry Azevedo, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands; Jerry Bordian, Britannia Bay Properties Ltd.; and Kirsten Clausen, BC Museum of Mines
Britannia Mine Water Treatment Plant: The First Year of Operations
C. Madsen, EPCOR
10:00 am Coffee
Britannia Mine Remediation Project – Integrating Ecological Monitoring with Reclamation Activities
B.G. Wernick, L.H. Nikl, T.A. Zis, D.H. McKeown, Golder Associates Ltd., and B. Azevedo, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands
May We Please Clean Up? Integrating Risk-Based Approaches with Effluent Permitting Requirements at Mine Reclamation Sites
L.H. Nikl, T.A. Zis and D.H. McKeown, Golder Associates Ltd.
11:30 am Lunch – No Host
Session Theme: Reclamation Part One
Session Chairs: Mark Freberg, Highland Valley Copper and Scott Davidson, NovaGold Resources Inc.
Winter Road Progressive Soil Remediation in the Sub-Arctic, Abandonment and Reclamation Planning and the Winter Road Environmental Management System (WREMS)
Matt Barnette, Rick Hoos, David Das, Jeff Matheson, EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd., and Erik Madsen, Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter Road Joint Venture
Assessment of Copper in Spectacle Wetland, Mount Washington
Theodore Back, Matthew Perkins and Brianne Rand, Camosun College
Native Grass Seed Development: 1975 – 2007 Challenges and Results
Manivalde Vaartnou, M. Vaartnou & Associates
2:00 pm Coffee
Reconstruction of Forested Ecosystems on Rock Disposal Sites at Mount Polley Mine
Ronald Meister, Forestmeister Services
Quinsam Coal Mine Reclamation: 25 Years of Reclamation Experience
David Polster, Polster Environmental Services Ltd., and Cale DuBois, Quinsam Coal Corporation
Using Music to Teach Mine Reclamation
Marcello M. Veiga, Janis Shandro and Malcolm Scoble, University of British Columbia
6:00 pm No Host Reception
Sea to Sky Ballroom
7:00 pm Reclamation Awards Banquet
Sea to Sky Ballroom
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Technical Sessions – Sea to Sky Ballroom
Session Theme: Contaminated Sites
Session Chairs: Bob Hart, Environmental Assessment Office and Peter Jarman, BC Ministry of Environment
British Columbia Crown Contaminated Sites Program Overview
Gregg Stewart and Heather Johnstone, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands
Site Investigations and Remediation: Yankee Girl Tailing Site, Ymir, B.C.
M. Tinholt, N. Sandstrom, SNC Lavalin/Morrow Environmental Consultants Inc.;J. Sevigny, Iridium Consulting Inc.; G. Stewart and G. Sinnett, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands
10:00 am Coffee
Risk Ranking Methodology for Abandoned Mine Sites in B.C.
B. Power, A. Fikart, Azimuth Consulting Group Ltd.; M.J. Tinholt, R.M. Wilson, SNC Lavalin/Morrow Environmental Consultants Inc.; G.G. Stewart and G.D. Sinnett, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands
The Application of Small-Mammal Analyses in Terrestrial Ecological Risk Assessment, Former Yankee Girl Mine, Ymir, B.C.
J.H. Sevigny, Iridium Consulting Inc.; J. Dulisse, Masse & Miller Consulting Ltd.; M. Tinholt, SNC Lavalin/Morrow Environmental Consultants Inc.; G. Stewart and G. Sinnett, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands
Mount Washington Mine Remediation Project Wayne White, Tsolum River Restoration Society, and Peter Healey, SRK Consulting (Canada) Inc.
12:00 noon Lunch – No Host
Session Theme: Reclamation Part Two
Session Chairs: Todd Wambolt, Gibraltar Mines Ltd. and Bob Hamaguchi, Highland Valley Copper
Update on the Status of Selenium Investigations in the Elk River Valley, B.C.
Peter M. Chapman, Golder Associates, Roger Berdusco and Ron Jones, Elk Valley Coal
Fisheries Habitat Compensation Planning for Mine Drainage Impacts at the Island Copper Mine
Marc E. Wen, François Landry, Michael D. McGurk, Andrew J. Harwood, Clem. A. Pelletier, Rescan Environmental Services Ltd., Gibson L. Pierce and Ben. K. Wichers, BHP Copper Inc.
Implementing Programs to Improve Gold Recovery and Reduce Environmental Impacts by Artisanal Gold Mining in Brazil
Rodolfo Neiva Sousa and Marcello M. Veiga, University of British Columbia
2:30 pm Coffee
Operating for Closure: Life of Mine Waste Management at Huckleberry Mine
Peter C. Lighthall, Todd Martin, AMEC Earth & Environmental, and Kent Christensen, Huckleberry Mines Ltd.
Developing Tailings Ponds and Pit Lakes as Bioreactors and Habitat Cost-Effective Successes at Highland Valley Copper
Heather Larratt, Larratt Aquatic Consulting, Mark Freburg and Robert Hamaguchi, Highland Valley Copper
Selenium in Geological Samples: Investing in a Mathematical Mystery
Brenda M. Dixon, Natural Resources Canada and University of British Columbia
4:30 pm Closing Remarks
The British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on reclamation wishes to thank the following individuals and/or organizations for their contributions to the 2007 Reclamation Symposium:
- Barb Riordan (Endako Mines Ltd.), 2007 Chair of the British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on Reclamation;
- Art O’Bryan for organizing all hotel accommodation, conference facilities and bus transportation;
- Brenda Dixon (Natural Resources Canada), Sophie Mullen, EPCOR, British Columbia Museum of Mining, Golder Associates, Britannia Bay Properties Ltd., Mining Association of British Columbia, and Denbow Transport Ltd. for the tour of Britannia Mine;
- Carol Howell, Kim Bellefontaine, Reiko Gurney, Margo Brody and Sara Bose (all from BC Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources), for organizing registration and awards, printing and circulation of the announcements and programs, and editing and printing the proceedings;
- Golder Associates for sponsoring lunch on the tour;
- Association of Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AMEBC) for sponsoring the Speakers Breakfasts and for First Nations travel assistance;
- Mining Association of British Columbia (MABC) for sponsoring dinner on the tour;
- Pickseed for sponsoring wine at the banquet;
- Justin Straker (C.E. Jones and Associates Ltd.) for presenting the course on “Revegetating a Mine Site – Setting Objectives, Developing Techniques, and Evaluating Success”;
- Bill Price (Natural Resources Canada) for organizing the Technical Program;
- Brenda Dixon (Natural Resources Canada), Carla Fraser (Elk Valley Coal Corporation), Mark Freberg (Highland Valley Copper), Scott Davidson (NovaGold Resources Inc.), Bob Hart (Environmental Assessment Office), Peter Jarman (BC Ministry of Environment), Todd Wambolt (Gibraltar Mines Limited), Bob Hamaguchi (Highland Valley Copper), Carol Howell, Kim Bellefontaine and Sara Bose for reviewing and editing the technical papers;
- Bob Hart, Kim Bellefontaine and Wendy Gardner (Thompson Rivers University) – Reclamation Awards Committee;
- Bob Hart, Wendy Gardner and Brenda Dixon – Scholarship Committee; and,
- Bill Price and Mark Freberg – Committee for Community and First Nations Participation.
THANK YOU EVERYONE !!