The British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on Reclamation presents “Case Studies of Reclamation and Environmental Protection” — B.C.’s 30th Annual Mine Reclamation Symposium.
Organized by the British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on Reclamation (TRCR) in cooperation with: B.C. Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources, B.C. Ministry of Environment, Environmental Assessment Office, Natural Resources Canada, Mining Association of British Columbia, University of British Columbia, and Thompson Rivers University.
Functions Venue: Hudson Bay Lodge – Smithers, British Columbia
Dates: June 19 – 22, 2006
Note: All functions take place at the Hudson Bay Lodge
Monday, June 19, 2006
9:35 am – 5:30 pm Tour of Kemess Mine
10:30 am – 4:30 pm Course on “What You Need to Know to Use Soils in Reclamation”
7:30 – 8:30 pm Symposium Registration – Hudson Bay Lodge
7:30 – 10:00 pm Wine & Cheese Reception – Ferguson Room
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
8:00 am Depart Hudson Bay Lodge for tour of Equity Silver Mine. A bag lunch and dinner will be provided. Return approximately 7:30 pm.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006
7:45 am – 10:00 am – Registration
Session Theme: Reclamation
Session Chairs: Todd Wambolt – Gibraltar Mines Limited and Katherine Gizikoff – GGEM Consultants Ltd.
8:30 am Snip Mine: Seven Years After Closure
S.J. Sibbick, AMEC Earth & Environmental Ltd., and R. MacGillivray, Barrick Gold Inc.
9:00 am BC is Booming – Is ARD Looming? – An Overview of ML/ARD Regulatory Approach and Mining Issues in British Columbia
Kim Bellefontaine, BC Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources
9:30 am Site Remediation of Acid Damaged Soils Using Sprayed Biosolids and Lime – A Case Study of the Area near the Trail Lead Zinc Smelter in Trail, BC
Al Mattes, Matt Pommer, Nature Works Remediation Corporation, and W.F.A. Duncan, Teck Cominco Metals Limited
10:00 am COFFEE
10:30 am Summary of the 2005 Financial Security Review at the Equity Silver Mine
W.A. Price, Natural Resources Canada; K. Bellefontaine, Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources; and G. Ferris
11:00 am Trout Lake Molybdenum Property Reclamation Case Study
Clem Pelletier, Rescan Environmental Services Ltd.
11:30 Preparing a High Elevation Tailings Impoundment for Final Closure
Peter A. Witt and Robert A. Hamaguchi, Highland Valley Copper
12:00 LUNCH – No Host
1:30 pm Cardinal River Operations – Cheviot Haul Road Construction, Reclamation and Operation
Marc Symbaluk, Elk Valley Coal
2:00 pm Mine Reclamation in British Columbia: Accolades and Issues
David Polster, Polster Environmental Services Ltd., and Diane Howe, Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources
2:30 pm COFFEE
Session Theme: Research and New Developments
Session Chair: Brenda Dixon – Natural Resources Canada
3:00 pm Closure of the Colomac Mine – A First Nations-Mine Owner Collaboration
Tony Pearse, Technical Advisor, Tlicho Government
3:30 pm Initiatives at Natural Resources Canada to Deal with Orphan and Abandoned Mines
Gilles A. Tremblay and Charlene M. Hogan, Natural Resources Canada
4:00 pm A Performance Comparison of Arsenic, Cadmium and Zinc Treatment in a Duplicate Column Study of an Anaerobic Bioreactor Operated at 4°C and 25°C
Jonathan D.E. Kawaja, Dr. W. Douglas Gould, Lucie Morin, Natural Resources Canada; Al Mattes, Nature Works Remediation Corp.; and William F.A. Duncan, Teck Cominco Metals Ltd.
6:30 pm No Host Reception – Ferguson/Hudson Rooms
7:30 pm Annual Reclamation Awards Banquet
Thursday, June 22, 2006
Session Theme: Research and New Developments (cont’d)
Session Chair: Bob Hart – Environmental Assessment Office
9:00 am An Overview of the MEND Program – Canada’s ARD Research and Technology Transfer Initiative
Gilles Tremblay and Charlene Hogan, Natural Resources Canada
9:30 am Temporal Trends in Reclamation Assessed with Airborne Multispectral Remote Sensing
Leslie Brown, Gary Borstad, Mar Martinez, Randy Kerr, Peter Willis – G.A. Borstad Associates Ltd.; Mark Richards and Peter Witt, Highland Valley Copper
10:00 am COFFEE
Session Theme: Environmental Effects Monitoring
Session Chairs: Barb Riordan – Endako Mine and Ron Robichaud – Huckleberry Mines Ltd.
10:30 am Utilization of Reclamation Habitats by Birds Within the Highland Valley Copper Operating Area, Logan Lake, British Columbia
Richard Howie, Aspen Park Consulting
11:00 am Responses of Juvenile Rainbow Trout and Benthic Invertebrate Communities Exposed to Effluents from a Molybdenum Mine in Central British Columbia
Brendan J. Galloway, Chris F. Fraikin, Zsolt E. Kovats, Richard D. Robinson, Golder Associates Ltd.; and Barb Riordan, Endako Mines
11:30 am Site Specific Risk Assessments of Two Former Copper Concentrate Shed Sites near Topley, B.C.
P.M. McKee, N.P. Morris and R.V. Nicholson, EcoMetrix Incorporated, and Brian Rosendale, Falconbridge Limited
12:00 LUNCH – No Host
1:30 pm Mercury Concentrations in Fish-eating Birds from the Pinchi Lake Area In Relation to Productivity and Reproductive Success
Shari A.Weech, Minnow Environmental Inc., and Tony M. Scheuhammer, Environment Canada
2:00 pm Selenium Source Characterization and Receiving Environment Monitoring at the Kemess South Mine
Scott Davidson, Kemess Mines Ltd., and Peter Chapman, Golder Associates Ltd.
2:30 pm Eskay Creek Mine Environmental Effects Monitoring Program and its Implications for Closure Planning
Michael McGurk, François Landry, Rescan Environmental Services Ltd., and Randy MacGillivray, Barrick Gold Corporation
3:00 pm COFFEE
3:30 pm Baseline Selenium in Sculpins Related to the Northeast Coal Zone
N. Bruce Carmichael, BC Ministry of Environment, and Peter Chapman, Golder Associates Ltd.
4:00 pm A Case Study Approach to Understanding Provincial Aquatic Environmental Effects Monitoring Requirements for Mines
J. Love, G. Tamblyn and I. Sharpe, Ministry of Environment
The British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on reclamation wishes to thank the following individuals and/or organizations for their contributions to the 2007 Reclamation Symposium:
- Bill Price, 2006 Chair of the British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on Reclamation;
- Art O’Bryan for organizing all hotel accommodation, conference facilities and bus transportation;
- Scott Davidson (Kemess Mines Ltd.) for the tour of Kemess South;
- Mike Aziz (Equity Silver Mine) for organizing the Equity tour;
- Carol Howell (Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources), for organizing registration and awards, printing and circulation of the announcements and programs, and editing and printing the proceedings;
- Thompson Creek Mining Ltd. – Endako Mine for sponsoring lunch on the tour;
- Goldcorp Inc. for sponsoring dinner on the Equity tour;
- Rescan Environmental Services Ltd. for sponsoring the Wine & Cheese Reception;
- Huckleberry Mines Ltd. for sponsoring wine at the banquet;
- TerraStar Solutions for sponsoring the Speakers Breakfasts;
- EBA Consulting Engineers and Scientists for sponsoring Wednesday morning coffee break;
- Chuck Bulmer (Ministry of Forests and Range) and Dave Yole for presenting the course on “What You Need to Know to Use Soils in Reclamation”;
- Bill Price (Natural Resources Canada) for organizing the Technical Program;
- Bill Price, Bob Hart (Environmental Assessment Office), Brenda Dixon (Natural Resources Canada), Todd Wambolt (Gibraltar Mines Limited), Barb Riordan (Endako Mines), Katherine Gizikoff (GGEM Consultants Ltd.), Ron Robichaud (Huckleberry Mines Ltd.), and Carol Howell for reviewing and editing the technical papers;
- Wendy Gardner (Thompson Rivers University), Kim Bellefontaine (Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources) and Bob Hart – Reclamation Awards Committee;
- Bob Hart, Ward Wilson (University of British Columbia) and Wendy Gardner – Scholarship Committee.
THANK YOU EVERYONE !!